Some people are surprised to learn about how carefully administered electrical pulses can benefit the body. While it may seem intimidating at first, using electrical stimulation as a type of therapy can help with pain management due to a medical condition or injury. It can also help the healing process for muscles that have been affected by an injury or surgical procedure.
Electrical stimulation therapy is a type of physical therapy that’s used all around the world to help alleviate pain and jump-start the body’s healing process. At REPAIR SI, we use a variety of electrical stimulation techniques to help reduce the symptoms that are interfering with your quality of life.
What Is Electrical Stimulation Therapy?
Electrical stimulation, sometimes referred to as e-stim, is a modality that’s often used as a physical therapy treatment option. The main goal of electrical stimulation therapy is to help reduce muscle pain that stems from an injury or medical condition. It involves sending electrical pulses into the muscles, causing them to spasm and release the tension.
Benefits of electrical stimulation include:
- Alleviating pain.
- Reducing muscle spasms.
- Increasing muscle tone.
- Preventing muscle atrophy.
- Increasing range of motion.
It can be used to treat a variety of conditions and injuries, including:
- Back pain.
- Joint pain.
- Muscle injuries.
- Spinal cord injury.
- Surgery rehabilitation.
Different Types of Electrical Stimulation
Electrical stimulation isn’t a one-size-fits-all treatment option, which is why there are a variety of types that can be utilized. At REPAIR SI, your physical therapist will determine which type of e-stim will work best for you based on the affected area and cause of the pain.
Here are the five most common types of electrical stimulation used at REPAIR SI:
- TENS — Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, or TENS, sends mild electrical pulses to targeted areas. The pulses alleviate chronic and acute pain by reducing the signals that go to the brain and spinal cord.
- High-voltage — This type of electrical stimulation not only alleviates pain but can also improve circulation. High-voltage stimulation may also speed up the healing process of a wound by impacting the surrounding cells.
- Russian — This stimulation provides alternating pulses of medium-level electrical currents to muscle tissue. It’s often used to help muscles contract after they’ve been weakened following an injury or surgery.
- NMES — Neuromuscular electrical stimulation sends electrical impulses to your nerves as a way to help your muscles relearn how to contract after they’ve been affected by an injury or surgery. It can also help reduce muscle spasms and increase blood circulation.
- Marc Pro muscle recovery — After a strenuous workout, Marc Pro muscle recovery will help sore muscles and reduce your pain. It can also improve your athletic performance and reduce the risk of overuse injuries.
REPAIR SI Provides Electrical Stimulation Therapy
Whether you’re trying to reduce the pain in your muscle tissue or help restore its strength after an injury or surgery, electrical stimulation therapy is a treatment option that can help. At REPAIR SI, we can determine the best type of e-stim for you.