Many people believe that physical therapy is only for people who need treatment for an injury, surgery or health condition. But did you know that physical therapy services can be utilized for more than that? It’s actually a great resource for those involved in professional sports. PT can be used to strengthen and condition the body for optimal performance during play. In fact, it can help anyone improve their performance during sports, not just professional athletes. Physical therapists regularly see student-athletes, athletes hoping to go pro and even former athletes. PT can benefit anyone hoping to improve their physical ability.
If you’re a professional athlete, however, you should know that you don’t need to train on your own or solely under your athletic trainer. You can visit with a physical therapy sports specialist, who can put you on the right track. Keep reading about physical therapy for athletes to learn more.
How can a pro sports physical therapist help an athlete?
Not only does professional sports physical therapy have the potential to help a variety of athletes, but it can be effective for a variety of purposes. Pro sports PT can help an athlete:
- Build strength — One of the ways that physical therapy can help professional athletes is by building strength. Increasing muscle mass and weight-bearing capacity is one way to improve athletic performance during play. Building muscle strength is a common reason for athletes to visit a physical therapy clinic for training.
- Increase flexibility — Another way that physical therapy can help professional athletes is by increasing their flexibility. Certain professional sports require the utmost flexibility to reach peak performance levels. If an athlete has lost flexibility with age or could stand to gain some more flexibility in general, physical therapy is a great way to do that.
- Boost agility — PT is also effective at boosting agility in professional athletes. Agility can make the difference between winning and losing — especially in sports like football, soccer, basketball and tennis. Physical therapy can help an athlete increase their agility so that they can leave it all out on the field.
- Increase endurance — Professional athletes can also build endurance during their physical therapy sessions. If a lack of endurance is hurting a player’s performance, PT will help them gradually build their physical stamina.
- Prevent injuries — Injuries can take a player out for the rest of a season. PT can help professional athletes recover from injuries they may have sustained and also help prevent them from occurring in the future. A physical therapist is trained to be able to spot areas of vulnerability and help their athletes strengthen the area around those vulnerabilities to prevent serious harm.
- Target any weaknesses — Any general areas of weakness that an athlete might have, physical therapists are skilled enough to identify and treat.
What types of professional sports can benefit from physical therapy?
Physical therapy can train all kinds of athletes. Whatever professional sport you’re involved in or training for, PT is a great way to improve your physical capabilities. Some of the sports that sports physical therapists regularly deal with include football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, soccer, tennis and more.
RepairSI has experienced sports physical therapists to help you improve your sports performance
Our team at RepairSI aims to provide you with a level of high-quality treatment that can’t be found anywhere else. Our range of services includes physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture and fitness training. Your best physical, mental and spiritual life can be attained when you visit us for your care. We emphasize whole-body treatment, which means your care isn’t limited to just one problem area. Your overall wellness is the most important to us. That’s why we’ve partnered with our community to provide you with the innovative care and quality resources that you need to address your health and wellness.
Each of our team members is committed to serving our community in a compassionate, professional manner to ensure the best possible outcomes. Whatever your reason for visiting us may be, you can feel confident that you’re getting high-quality care.
If you want to improve your sports performance as a professional athlete, you’ve come to the right place. Many of our therapists have experience in the professional sports world and can provide you with the level of attention you need. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions. We’d love to hear from you.