Sports physical therapy: Unlock your next level of performance
If you’re an athlete, you’re probably someone who is constantly looking for ways to improve. You might confer with your coach who provides you with helpful suggestions. Maybe you measure and record the effectiveness of slight adjustments to see what works. There are a variety of methods that can be used to benefit your level of sports performance. Physical therapy is one of them.
Sports physical therapy is a branch of PT. It’s centered exclusively on helping athletes. It involves the guidance of health care professionals who are experienced in helping people succeed in their sports. They can help you in a number of ways, including treating injuries, assessing performance levels, and even significantly improving your performance too.
How can sports physical therapy unlock your next level of performance?
Sports physical therapy can benefit athletes who are looking to improve their performance levels when playing their sport. The benefits are more wide ranging than you might think:
- Boosting endurance — One way that physical therapy can contribute to improved performance is by boosting endurance. Sports physical therapy can test your current level of endurance and then build it from there. Your therapist will ask you to perform a variety of exercises that gradually increase your endurance over time.
- Building strength — Another way that sports physical therapy can take you to the next level is by building your strength. Muscle strength is important for athletic performance. Stronger muscles can improve how well you play your sport and also help protect against injuries.
- Improving flexibility — Sports physical therapy can also improve flexibility. If your lack of flexibility is limiting your performance during play, physical therapists know the right stretching exercises and movements to increase it.
- Increasing range of motion — Limited range of motion can be the result of many things like muscle weakness, joint stiffness and poor flexibility. It usually results in reduced athletic performance and can increase the risk of developing injuries. Physical therapy is useful for those with a limited range of motion because it can address whatever the cause of that limited range may be.
- Reducing the chance of injury — Physical therapy can reduce your chance of developing an injury during your sport. Your physical therapist will account for your unique risk of injury and create a program designed to protect against it.
- Addressing any areas of weakness — If you’ve already experienced an injury in the past, it may be affecting your sports performance. PT can help treat old and new injuries and reduce their long-term impact on how you play.
Why should you choose sports physical therapy to improve your athletic abilities?
Sports physical therapy is effective for several reasons. It’s a natural and noninvasive option for improving performance, meaning it doesn’t involve incisions, injections or other invasive treatments like surgery. It doesn’t put you at risk of experiencing complications like surgery does. PT is also always done within your pain threshold. Your therapist won’t ask you to perform exercises and movements that cause you significant or unbearable pain. Discomfort is a normal part of PT, but not significant pain. Not only this, but the effects of PT can be felt for weeks, months and even years after the fact. If those reasons aren’t enough to convince you, research supports the idea that sports physical therapy can improve athletic performance. Most people think that physical therapy focuses on improving bodily function. What they don’t realize is that it can be effective in increasing athletic performance too.
Overall, PT should be considered a desirable method for improving athletic abilities. It’s less invasive than surgery, there are fewer complications, it causes less pain, the effects are long lasting and it’s been proven to work.
REPAIR SI can help you unlock your next level of performance
Our team at REPAIR SI aims to provide you with a level of high-quality treatment that can’t be found anywhere else. Our range of services includes physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture and fitness training. Your best physical, mental and spiritual life can be attained when you visit us for your care. We emphasize whole-body treatment, which means your care isn’t limited to just one problem area. Your overall wellness is the most important to us. That’s why we’ve partnered with our community to provide you with the innovative care and quality resources that you need to address your health and wellness.
Each of our team members is committed to serving our community in a compassionate, professional manner to ensure the best possible outcomes. Whatever your reason for visiting us may be, you can feel confident that you’re getting high-quality care.